[Nut-upsdev] bestfortress driver establishes/loses/establishes communication and so on...

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Jan 19 07:05:24 UTC 2012

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on Jan 18, Arnaud Quette would write:

> I really have to have a closer look there.
> I'm suspecting some race condition between upstart, sysV compat layer,
> udev and NUT starting, which could result in this.

Yes, on Fedora 16, you have to start nut-server before nut-monitor, and
systemd tries to start them at once.  Haven't got around to reporting that.
I don't think this problem is fortress specific.

>> The problem is that soon after nut started successfully, communication to
>> the UPS is lost, with "data stale". After some minutes, communication gets
>> re-established. Then lost again and so on and on and on...

This has been a long standing problem with the fortress driver.  The
UPS often corrupts the status output (hence the checksum).  The driver
correctly discards the bad checksums, but Nut gets all antsy about missed
statuses.  I generally adjust upsmon.conf to compensate.  If I'm not
the only fortress user left, I'll have to see if I can tweak the driver.
Perhaps it should leave status unchanged after a single corrupt
record from the UPS instead of reporting a problem.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>