[Nut-upsdev] New APC "SMT" UPSes support MODBUS, will there be support in NUT?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at mittelstaedt.us
Wed Sep 11 07:00:46 UTC 2013

Hi All,

   About a month ago APC announced they were including MODBUS protocol
support in their new APC UPSes.  The technical note on this is here:

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/MPAO-98KJ7F/MPAO-98KJ7F_R0_EN.pdf

"Application Note #176  Modbus Implementation in APC Smart-UPS"

The APC "announcement" appeared on their site in their user blogs by an
APC employee, here:

http://forums.apc.com/thread/5374?start=30&tstart=0

It states:  "we have recently released a firmware update for certain
Smart-UPS SMT models (UPS 09.1)"

APC made firmware updates to their SMT UPSes for this new protocol,
which are referred to here:

http://www.schneider-electric.us/sites/us/en/support/faq/faq_main.page?page=content&country=US&lang=en&id=FA164737&redirect=true

It appears from this the affected models are:

SMT Towers with firmware >= UPS 08.0
SMT 2U Rackmount
SMT 1U Rackmount (Follow SMX <=1500VA firmware)

The announcement also appeared on the apcupsd mailing list here:

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.apcupsd.user/month=20130801

where it was stated that code was available.

I understand that the Socomec ITyS UPS (2000VA) UPS also uses this same
Modbus protocol.

Anyway, with all of that said, will the NUT developers be looking into
implementing this support into NUT in the future?

Ted

PS  by the way - NUT allowed me to get data out of my 15 year old Compaq
R3000 UPS - I haven't got reporting data from it since NT 4 Server
became obsolete.  Many many thanks!