[Nut-upsdev] a few build nits

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:35:53 BST 2022

Regarding distcheck, like in other autotools projects, it was historically
geared towards testing that "everything" (`--with-all`) can be built from
tarball, not relying on git/svn/... sources (and possibly relying on
generated files like the copy of configure script itself) - and so to check
that we `dist` everything needed (maintain `EXTRA_DIST` mostly). It
implicitly assumes that the "maintainer's system" is able to build the
whole ecosystem, and "others" have moderate need to dist(check) beside
verifying they can and did not break it. Eventually this allows to publish
the tarball release with peace of mind.

  It was later extended for some CI scenarios (e.g. bypass docs or not, as
a big time hog and disk space user for TeX tooling) and more swathes of
code and build/dist scenarios in forks like 42ity/nut, so nowadays that's
tunable by passing DISTCHECK_FLAGS and/or DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS
make/env vars...

  You might like to `make distcheck-light` for its `--with-all=auto` mode
-- specifically to test against dependencies *your* system has. Alas, not
all OSes ship the whole range of third-party code NUT can build against.

Jim