[Nut-upsdev] What is the arduino sub-driver intended to be used for?

Kelly Byrd kbyrd at memcpy.com
Wed Nov 15 16:52:06 GMT 2023

You have the device side right. Devices have
"UPS.PowerSummary.CapacityMode" (are the next three in %, mAh, or mWh?
"UPS.PowerSummary.FullChargeCapacity"
"UPS.PowerSummary.RemainingCapacity"
"UPS.PowerSummary.RemainingCapacityLimit"
"UPS.PowerSummary.WarningCapacityLimit"

According to nut-names.txt, NUT has:
battery.charge             | Battery charge (percent)            | 100.0
battery.charge.low       | Remaining battery level when  UPS switches to LB
(percent)
battery.charge.restart    | Minimum battery level for UPS restart after
power-off
battery.charge.warning    | Battery level when UPS switches

and also

battery.capacity          | Battery capacity (Ah)               | 7.2
battery.capacity.nominal    | Nominal battery capacity (Ah)

So, it feels to me like this is the right logic:
if CapacityMode == 2 (capacity units are percent) then
  battery.charge = RemainingCapacity
  battery.charge.low, restart =  RemainingCapacityLimit
  battery.charge.warning =  WarningCapacityLimit

if CapacityMode == 0 (units are in mAh) then
  battery.capacity = RemainingCapacity
  battery.capacity.nominal = FullChargeCapacity (or DesignCapacity)

Note that in each case some things are left out. I didn't see a
battery.capacity.low or warning, which is probably ok because the time
remaining HID objects should give a similar set of behavior?

Looking at the existing drivers, it feels like most people use capacity as
a percent. It makes me wonder if either Windows or MacOS expects percent so
vendors just had to do that. I didn't find variables currently in  NUT for
milliwatt-hours.

I still have my original question, what is the right way to check this
CapacityMode while parsing RemainingCapacity and its friends? Although the
more I look into this, the more I think I won't bother and submit the PR
with comments that CapacityMode is assumed to be 2 and maybe a log message
if it isn't?