[Nut-upsuser] Re: Belkin F6C550-AVR UPS

Zaid D zaid.box at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 21:23:50 UTC 2005

> hidups will be abandonned, but according to the results you had,
> there are good chances that your UPS will be supported by
> newhidups...
>

> > the versions of NUT that I tried were 2.0.0, 2.0.1-rc4 and 2.0.2, I
> > tried using the "newhidups" driver but it didn't detect the UPS, so I
> > tried with "hidups" which gave me that output. When doing "lsusb" I
> > get:
>
> you miss the hotplug file installation and/or completion for
> your units.
>
> if you have installed the file from source:
> 1) copy nut/scripts/hotplug/{libhidups,libhid.usermap}
> to /etc/hotplug/usb
> 2) then chmod a+x /etc/hotplug/usb/libhidups
> 3) Edit /etc/hotplug/usb/libhid.usermap and add the
> following line (on one line!):
> libhidups      0x0003      0x050d   0x0551    0x0000       0x0000       0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00            0x00               0x00     $
>
> 4) restart hotplug service (distro dependant) and
> unplug/replug your UPS USB cord,
> 5) relaunch newhidups in debug mode (-DD)
>
> Should tell more things.
> Then post back the output, and ask for help to
> create belkin-hid.h and to add it to newhidups.

Hi Arnaud,
I have applied those changes, and here's a quick listing of them:

#cat /etc/hotplug/usb/libhid.usermap

libhidups      0x0003      0x050d   0x0551    0x0000       0x0000
 0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00            0x00
          0x00               0x00000000

#cat /etc/hotplug/usb/libhidups

if [ "$ACTION" = "add" -a "$TYPE" = "usb" ]; then
  chown root:nut "$DEVICE"
  chmod 0660 "$DEVICE"
fi

The permissions on libhidups are set to 755.
The entry for my UPS in ups.conf is:

[belkin]
        driver = newhidups
        port = auto
        desc = "Belkin"

and the output from the newhidups driver is:
#newhidups -DD -a belkin
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.23 (2.0.2)

debug level is '2'
Opening new device (0000/0000)
Opening new device (0000/0000)
Opening new device (05D8/4002)
Opening new device (050D/0551)
Opening new device (0000/0000)
Opening new device (0000/0000)
Opening new device (0000/0000)
found 0 (-1)
No USB/HID UPS found

The first device that it tried to open was my scanner, but the second
one is the Belkin UPS.

I guess the next step is adding the ID for this UPS to newhidups.h and
writing belkin-hid.h,
I think I know how to add the entry to newhidups.h but I'm not quiet
sure how to write belkin-hid.h so I'd appreciate any help with that.

Thanks,

Zaid