[Nut-upsuser] Re: Here are CORRECT APC cable diagrams

Stepan Novotill snovotill at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 14 17:39:52 UTC 2005

Please see answers about cables in body text:

>From: Tony Shadwick - OSS Solutions <tshadwick at oss-solutions.com>
>To: snovotill at hotmail.com
>Subject: APC Diagrams
>Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:36:31 -0500 (CDT)
>
>I need some clarification on the diagrams that you sent to the NUT mailing
>list last week.
>
>Just looking at the black 940-0024C, I see on the computer's end you have
>pin 1 looping back to pin 4, and pin 7 to pin 8.  I presume these are the
>'jumpered' pins you're referring to.
YES

>Solder a wire between the metal DB connector shells.
>Then I get 9-5, 2-2, and 1-3 going from ups to computer.
YES

>What I'm missing in your diagrams is that on the line that represents the
>conductor between the shells, you have a 'break', signifying a longer
>cable, but on either side of that break, you have a '+' sign, signifying
>that you're tapped into that line, and it almost appears as though you're
>cross-connecting the sheild to all of the other conductors, save for the
>jumpered pins on the computer side.  Maybe you're simply trying to show
>that  the sheilded conductor encases all of the others?
YES, THE WAY I DREW IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN ELECTRICAL
DIAGRAMS. THE SHIELD ENCASES THE OTHER CONDUCTORS
BUT DOES NOT CONNECT TO THEM.

>I'm also of the impression that the black 940-0024C is the newest of the
>cables, and appears to work with all of APC's equipment, including most of
>the older stuff, as I have had no issues.  Is this your experience?
ALL CABLES SHOWN ARE CURRENTLY BEING SOLD. THE MORE
EXPENSIVE UPS UNITS ARE ABLE TO USE THE SMART CABLES,
BUT THE OLDER BACK-UPS UNITS ARE ONLY ABLE TO USE THE
BASIC CABLES. THE TWO PORT UPS EXPANSION MODULE FOR
SMART-UPS CAN ONLY USE BASIC SIGNALLING CABLES.