[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse 800 USBS doesn't shutdown under FreeBSD

François Rayer / Tamia Design francois.rayer at tamiadesign.com
Fri Aug 19 21:02:09 UTC 2005

Hi all,

First of all thanks for the great work on nut ! (despite it's not
fully functional yet overhere).

Everything seemed to go fine until the final test : shutdown the
UPS ! The system is running FreeBSD 5.3, the UPS is MGE Ellipse 800
USBS both linked with the MGE serial cable. The system is a remote
server, only running some file services and large disks.

The porting, installation and scripting for nut went quite easily for
a lowtech user as me (the user/group stuff a little tricky anyway). I
used the nut-2.0.2 release and tried the 2.0.3-pre1 too... The driver
is mge-shut 0.64

I still have a couple of :

Aug 19 18:29:55 tamiaserver upsd[955]: Data for UPS [ups_tamiaserver]
is stale - check driver
Aug 19 18:29:56 tamiaserver upsmon[958]: Poll UPS
[ups_tamiaserver at localhost] failed - Data stale
Aug 19 18:29:56 tamiaserver upsmon[958]: Communications with UPS
ups_tamiaserver at localhost lost
Aug 19 18:29:57 tamiaserver upsd[955]: UPS [ups_tamiaserver] data is
no longer stale
Aug 19 18:30:11 tamiaserver upsmon[958]: Communications with UPS
ups_tamiaserver at localhost established

despite changing the MAXAGE and setting the notification parameter to
3. Can't figure why :( especially with a cpu load under 20%...

My main problem is that the system starts the shutdown of FreeBSD
when reaching the 30% level, but when it comes to shutdown the UPS,
nothing happens, and the computer halted continues to deplet the UPS
batteries... You'll agree this is not good at all !

To test the feature, I tried to force the shutdown manually, the
computer no longer pluged in the UPS ;-) , only the driver running :

-bash-2.05b$ sudo /usr/local/ups/bin/mge-shut -u root -a
ups_tamiaserver -k
after getting some fancy answers :
Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.64 (2.0.2)
Unable to get Report Descriptor
or
Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.64 (2.0.2)
Unable to get Device Descriptor
or
Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.64 (2.0.2)
No communication with UPS
or
Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.64 (2.0.2)
Unable to get HID Descriptor

I finally got the right answer :

Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.64 (2.0.2)
Initiating UPS shutdown

But simply nothing happened, the UPS didn't shutdown (I tried with
the batteries level over and under 30%).

Perhaps my UPS needs some configuring, but the few info on the MGE
documentation and website didn't help at all.

I would really appreciate some input as I'm stuck there and I have no
more idea how to narrow the problem.

Francois

Some more tech stuff :

When asking the driver, this is the answer :

-bash-2.05b$ sudo /usr/local/ups/bin/upsc ups_tamiaserver at localhost
Password:
battery.charge: 36
battery.charge.low: 30
battery.runtime: 00617