[Nut-upsuser] Upsmon problem

Mathieu Bruneau mathieu.bruneau at argontechnologies.ca
Tue Dec 20 02:58:00 UTC 2005

Arnaud Quette wrote:

> 2005/12/19, Mathieu Bruneau <mathieu.bruneau at argontechnologies.ca
> <mailto:mathieu.bruneau at argontechnologies.ca>>:
>
>     Hi,
>             I feel that i'm having a small problem with my upsmon
>     configuration
>     (maybe even simply a permissions problem) since I upgrade today to 2.0.2
>

> the solution depends on the previous version you were running (ie 1.4 or
> already 2.0)
>
>     I have apcsmart set up and talk to my ups no problem (upsc get answer).
>     I have upsd running no problem!
>
>     But when I try to start upsmon, it's unable to talk to my upsd. Having
>     try a few option I found that saying RUN_AS_USER=root makes my upsmon
>     runs without any problem.
>
>     Here is the message I receive from the Debug:
>
>     rounoff:/var/run/nut# upsmon -D
>     Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.2
>     UPS: bup at localhost (master) (power value 1)
>     Using power down flag file /etc/killpower
>
>     Trying to connect to UPS [bup at localhost]
>     UPS [ bup at localhost]: connect failed: No such host
>     do_notify: ntype 0x0005 (COMMBAD)
>     Communications with UPS bup at localhost lost
>
>     I found that if I put the -p it work but i'm not sure of what that's
>     implying.
>
>     Any clues of how to fix that problem ? Where to look?
>

> according to your tests, this is a permission problem.
>
> Send us back the following info:
> - platform (ie debian, redhat, ...)
> - install method (from package or source)
> - upsd.conf, upsmon.conf (trim the password)
> - previous nut version
>
> Arnaud
> --
> Linux / Unix Expert - MGE UPS SYSTEMS - R&D Dpt
> Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
> <http://www.networkupstools.org/>
> Debian Developer - http://people.debian.org/~aquette/
> OpenSource Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/
Hi, I'm running on debian I installed with the .deb but was previously
using a home compile version. I was using version 1.4.

As for the configuration here is the files(comment stripped for brevity):

upsd.conf
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32

ACCEPT localhost
REJECT all

upsd.user
       [monuser]
                password = XXXXX
                allowfrom = localhost
#               actions = SET
                instcmds = ALL
                upsmon master

upsmon.conf
MONITOR bup at localhost 1 monuser XXXXX master
MINSUPPLIES 1
SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"
POLLFREQ 5
POLLFREQALERT 5
HOSTSYNC 15
DEADTIME 15
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower

And a few other to specify NOTIFYMSG

*UPDATE*

Actually before sending this message, I did 1-2 more test and I found my
problem, it has nothing to do with my setting (of upsmon). I updated a
few thing at the same time and it seems that it was actually a dns entry
that was messed up. So here localhost wasn't actually resolved back to
127.0.0.1 which explains the error message "No such host".

Thanks for your help anyhow =)

--
Mathieu Bruneau
aka ROunofF