[Nut-upsuser] bcmxcp - Powerware 9125

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at telia.com
Sun Oct 9 22:43:56 UTC 2005

Hi Gorm.

The PW9125 have given us some trouble. The problem we have was
that it hade some trouble to start. Starting it at 1200Bps
then reverting back to 9600Bps seems to make it start.

This was not so good as the driver needed to be recompiled every time.
So in the new driver i made some changes.

The baud-rate is configurable by setting the baud_rate in the
ups.conf.

baud_rate = 9600

If it not responding it goes into baud-hunting. Then tell you the
speed it connect at. ( This fix the HP 3000 ups also as it run at
19200Bps)

Then one more thing is done during start-up, it sends the
authorization string and set it to requested mode only.

This make the ups to only respond to poll. So it may be that
you are using the 0.08 driver and the ups is in unrequested mode.

In unrequested mode the ups is periodic sending the status block
meter block alarm block.
If this is the case it can flod the receive buffer and make it
miss the requested status. The ups would start-up in unrequested
if it was set to this before power-down. So if your ups have been
running in that mode it have to be set to requested mode only.

About the 3110. It is a old small ups that was equipped with usb
port in march of 2004. It's usb 1.1 and has a very low revision on
the software in the ups. The problem is that it have been superseded
by the 3105 ( ? ) that use usb2. I run one of them at the moment to
my computer. (Saved me yesterday, when a fuse was blown).

The 3110 can be used with the generic driver as it use dry contact
on the Db9 connector.

The usb driver is not setting the ups to requested mode at start-up
at present time. Hopefully we can fix this in a near future.

So to Benjamin. Try starting it with the serial driver ( or maybe you
have a computer that don't have any com port. Common this days)

I have running a 5115 for about 1 year without problem (serial).

Thank you for the feedback.

You can try the 0.10 driver. Now back-ported to Testing branch
(2.0.3).

Regards
Kjell