[Nut-upsuser] Nut setup with CyberPower AVR900

Frank Goodman frank.goodman at comcast.net
Sun Oct 23 01:34:11 UTC 2005

Hello,
  I'm a new to NUT and I'm having some setup problems.

  Here's my setup:

  Nut 2.0.2
  Gentoo Linux 2.6.13-r3
  CyberPower AVR900

  According to the hardware compatibility guide this setup should work.

  Here's what I get:

  root at gentoo (0) [552] % upsdrvctl start
  Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
  Network UPS Tools - CyberPower driver 1.00 (2.0.2)
  Giving up on hardware detection after 3 tries
  Unable to get initial hardware info string
  Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

  My ups.conf looks like this:

  [gentoo]
  driver = cyberpower
  port = /dev/ttyS0
  desc = "gentoo UPS"

  Permission on /dev/ttyS0 are 777 while I'm testing so I don't think
  this is a "user" related issue.

  I've tried this with a straight through DB9 cable and the CyberPower
  DB9 cable which I was told by tech support was straight through, but
  not every pin is hooked up. Neither worked.

  Also, CyberPower has a linux module that works with both cables, but
  isn't network capable and won't work with my other setup which has its
  own CyberPower 900AVR but runs FreeBSD 5.4

  I also tried cpsups, and with USB, hidups and newhidups, none worked.

  Anyone done this? Are there other files I need to be tweaking?

  Thanks in advance.

  Frank.