[Nut-upsuser] TrippLite SmartPro UPS and nut-2.0.2

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 22:37:27 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, Nick Golder <nrg at timing.com> wrote:
> I have a TrippLite SmartPro UP (SMART3000RM2U) that shipped with the DB9
> cable# 73-0866.  nut doesn't recognize the UPS using the tripplite
> driver.  I found this page:
> http://www.tripplite.com/support/download/PA12/help/device.htm
>
> The link lists the SmartPro series as using the cables 73-0724 or 73-0844 and
> the Internet 350/525 is listed as using a cable 73-0866.  I have a few
> 73-0844s kicking around - would it hurt to try the 0844 cable with the
> genericup uptype=5 driver?

It probably won't hurt, but whenever you are dealing with an UPS with
a contact-closure mode, you don't want to experiment with plugging and
unplugging random cables (unless you can tolerate an outage). This is
where dummy loads (like a bunch of high-wattage light bulbs, or old
monitors) come in handy.

If you just want low-battery notification, you can experiment with genericups.

What did the tripplite serial driver say when you tried it? At some
point, I may try to add in some more extensive diagnostics, but I
can't really do much testing with it (no official serial cables, and I
don't want to bring down the equipment attached to the UPS).

The SMART1500RM2U (which I assume is just a smaller version of the
3000RM2U) has a USB plug on the back - would that work for your setup?
The tripplite_usb driver is still a work-in-progress, but it does
detect the 1500.

--
- Charles Lepple