[Nut-upsuser] Re: RE Powerware 5115 and USB

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 11:06:54 UTC 2006

2006/4/12, Georg Rehm <georg.rehm at uni-tuebingen.de>:
> > >     ./bcmxcp_usb -DDD -u root -a upsname
>
> > Subscribe to the list, report the above debug (-DDD) output.
>
> Ok, here we go (I snipped most of the "Can't ..." lines):

> botticelli:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./bcmxcp_usb -DDD -u root -a botticelli-ups
> Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.3)
>
> debug level is '3'
> Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
> Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
> [...]
> Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
> Can't open POWERWARE USB device, retrying ...
> Can't open POWERWARE USB device
> Unable to find POWERWARE UPS device on USB bus
>
> Things to try:
>
>  - Connect UPS device to USB bus
>
>  - Run this driver as another user (upsdrvctl -u or 'user=...' in
>    ups.conf).
>    See upsdrvctl(8) and ups.conf(5).
>
> Fatal error: unusable configuration
> botticelli:/usr/local/ups/bin#

> So, is it really true that I do *not* need a working hiddev subsystem
> to get this Powerware 5115 to work over USB? If I no longer need hiddev,
> why does 2.0.3's configure still allow to specify the path to hiddev.h?

because the old hiddev is still there, and will only be removed for 2.2.
as previously, nut as always a migration path, no rude switch

> If bcmxcp_usb just needs libusb: is there any way to make sure that my
> libusb does indeed work as expected? Now I'm in the situation that I
> don't know whether my USB subsystem is broken, whether there is a bug
> in nut 2.0.3 or the Powerware 5115 is not supported via USB. Any hints?

you can try "export USB_DEBUG=3" to trace libusb internal routines.
what is sure is that it's not a permissions problem (you're running it
as root), so I'm more thinking about either a device problem, or the
driver not supporting it. But once more, I don't have the needed
knowledges on this subject.

Arnaud