[Nut-upsuser] bcmxcp_usb "Can't open POWERWARE USB device"

Ken Yee kenkyee at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 03:18:53 UTC 2006

I tried switching to the USB version of bcmxcp_usb and
get this error when I try starting up upsdrvctl or
bcmxcp_usb like so:
/etc/nut/bcmxcp_usb -DDDD -a powerware -u nut

I used this for ups.conf:
[powerware]
        driver = bcmxcp_usb
        port = auto

With the serial/usb dongle, I used this successfully:
[powerware]
        driver = bcmxcp
        port = /dev/ttyUSB0

What devices does "auto" look for?  I don't have a
/dev/usb, but I do have /proc/bus/usb, so I tried
setting the port to /proc/bus/usb/002/003 which
is what it shows up as in dmesg when I plug it in,
but I get the same error msgs as when I set the
port to "auto" :-P

 ken