[Nut-upsuser] Powerware 3105 - SuSE 10.0

Graham Smith gqs at westnet.com.au
Sat Apr 22 21:36:32 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 07:00, Kjell Claesson wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> First of all i would like you to test this.
> Comment out the 'user = nut' line in the ups.conf.
>
> #user = nut
>
> Then run the driver this way.
>
> ./bcmxcp_usb -DD -u root -a pw3105
>
> If this returns anything you have a problem with the permission
> on the '/proc/bus/usb/00x/00x'.
>
> Then you have to fix this with the hotplug scripts.
> If you have the latest udev and kernel the 'device'
> /proc/bus/usb/00x/00x may be set like this
>
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root usb 52 20 apr 22.52 /proc/bus/usb/001/002
>
> Then you may add the nut user to the usb group and it would work.
> Maybe not the most secure way to do it, but it works until this
> udev, hotplug, devices, thing have settled down.
>
> Regards
> Kjell
>
> fre 2006-04-21 klockan 04:27 +1000 skrev Graham Smith:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get a Powerware 3105 UPS working on SuSE 10.0. I have
> > compiled nut from the current Subversion repository. This UPS uses the
> > bcmxcp_usb driver.
> >
> > I cannot get the driver to find the ups on the USB bus.
> > The error message I get is:-
> > -------------- bcmxcp_usb -u nut -DDDDD -a pw3105 --------------------
> > Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.1.0)
> >
> > debug level is '5'
> > Can't set POWERWARE USB configuration
> > Unable to find POWERWARE UPS device on USB bus

Hi Kjell,

Sorry for the delay in responding. You were right I do have permission
problems on the '/proc/bus/usb/00x/00x'.

As I have problems understanding the hotplug operation on SuSE 10.0 I ended up
downloading the  nut-2.0.3-13.src.rpm from the SuSE 10.1 factory depository.
The /etc/init.d/upsd init script SuSE supplied is buggy but I believe I can
get this to work.

Thank you for your quick responce it is greatly appreciated.
--
Regards,

Graham Smith