[Nut-upsuser] Help with nut 2.0.4, MGE Ellipse 1000 and FreeBSD

Miwa Forever miwaonline at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 18:50:08 CET 2006

2006/12/28, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>:

> Miwa Forever wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> > So as my english is not so good, i'll try to write my story in bash
> commands
> > :o)
> >
> > miwa at zork3$ uname -mrs
> > FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE i386
> > miwa at zork3$ su
> > root at zork3# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/nat
> > root at zork3# make && make install
> > root at zork3# cd ../nut-usb
> > root at zork3# make && make install
> > root at zork3# cd /usr/local/etc/nut
> > root at zork3# cat ups.conf
> > user=root
> > [MGE-Ellipse]
> > driver=newhidups
> > port=auto
> > desc="MGE Ellipse 1000"
> >
> > root at zork3# cat upsd.conf
> > ACL world 0.0.0.0/0
> > ACL zork 192.168.100.0/24
> > ACL servers 192.168.1.0/24
> > ACL local 127.0.0.1/32
> > ACCEPT local
> > ACCEPT servers
> > ACCEPT zork
> > REJECT world
> >
> > root at zork3# cat upsd.users
> > [admin]
> > password = admin
> > allowfrom = local
> > actions = set
> > instcmds = all
> >
> > [monitor]
> > password = monitor
> > allowfrom = local
> > upsmon master
> >
> > root at zork3# /usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl -u root start
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
> > Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.4)
> >
> > Detected a UPS: MGE UPS SYSTEMS/ELLIPSE
> > Using subdriver: MGE HID 0.9
>
> Everything is good up to here. Your UPS, cable, and driver (newhidups)
> are all working.
>
> > root at zork3# upsd -u root
> > Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.4
> > /usr/local/etc/nut/upsd.conf is world readable
> > Connected to UPS [MGE-Ellipse]: newhidups-auto
> > Synchronizing........ giving up
>
> This is definitely a problem. Upsd has "given up" its attempt to
> connect to the driver.
>
> There should be a socket in your state directory (typically
> /var/state/ups). This is what upsd uses to connect to the driver.
>
> Perhaps you should start "/usr/local/libexec/nut/upsd" and not just
> "upsd"?  Maybe they are not configured the same way.
>
> -- Peter

Well, I found directory /var/state/ups, but it's empty:

root at zork3# ls -l /var/state
total 2
drwxrwxrwx 2 nut nut 512 Dec 25 18:31 ups
root at zork3# ls -l /var/state/ups
total 0
root at zork3# ps ax | grep ups
878 ?? Is 0:00.65 /usr/local/libexec/nut/newhidups -a MGE-Ellipse -u root
880 ?? Ss 0:01.18 /usr/local/sbin/upsd -u root

As for upsd -
it's located only in /usr/local/sbin; in /usr/local/libexec/nut/ only
drivers are located:

root at zork3# ls /usr/local/libexec/nut
apcsmart   blazer   genericups   mge-utalk   sms
bcmxcp   cpsups   ippon   mustek   solis
bcmxcp_usb   cyberpower   isbmex   newhidups   tripplite
belkin   esupssmart   liebert   oneac   tripplite_usb
belkinunv   etapro   masterguard   powercom   tripplitesu
bestfcom   everups   megatec   powermust   upscode2
bestuferrups   fentonups   metasys   rhino   upsdrvctl
bestups   gamatronic   mge-shut   safenet   victronups

// hm, looks like gmail's web-interface does not like tabs, it replace them
into spaces :o(

Anyway, this is output of my usbdevs:
root at zork3# usbdevs -v -d
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
uhub1
port 1 powered
port 2 addr 2: low speed, power 20 mA, config 1, ELLIPSE(0xffff), MGE UPS
SYSTEMS(0x0463), rev 42.41
ugen0

As we can see, UPS is visible in a system and ugen, but not uhid driver is
attached to it.

Maybe the problem is in ownership of /var/state/ups directory, but i run
upsd and upsdrvctl under root :o/