[Nut-upsuser] close pc

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Dec 30 08:45:12 CET 2006

>>> i think nut close the computer when the battery is low...
>>> is there a way to close it after a few time is electricity is off?
>> This is in the FAQ (docs/FAQ):
> it's only to be sure the computer will shutdown if the battery is low.....

That's something that NUT will do for you, provided you give it the right
SHUTDOWNCMD and your UPS has enough stamina to keep your PC running for
the duration of the shutdown sequence.

> how to be sure the pc will shut down?

You mean poweroff? That will be handled by the sending the UPS a command
to shutdown in the halt sequence.

> may will get some right access problem....

We can't do anything about that, that's your job to get it right.

In essence, if you're worried this doesn't work (and you should be), the
only way to be sure is to try it out. Power your PC directly from the
mains and load the UPS with a lightbulb of about 100 Watt. Pull the plug
on your UPS and wait. If your PC shuts down before the lamp goes out,
you're fine. If not, upssched is your friend and you need a timed shutdown
after the mains is lost.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands