[Nut-upsuser] How do I resolve comm issues

Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Tue May 9 13:16:36 UTC 2006

> Hey Tuc,
>
> 2006/5/9, Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H <ml at t-b-o-h.net>:
> > Hi,
> >
> >         I'm running into an issue while using FreeBSD 5.4, NUT from
> > ports (2.0.3), serial on /dev/cuaa1, Ellipse 1200 USBS.
> >
> >         The ups.conf is :
> >
> > [ellipse]
> >         driver=mge-utalk
>
> Ellipse USBS units are bound to:
> - newhidups when using the USB port,
> - mge-shut when using the serial port.
>
> mge-utalk is for older units, or the more recent that still come with
> UTalk compatibility.
>
> As mentionned in my previous (private) answer, the newhidups version
> in nut 2.0.3 has a major bug with libusb which results in a crash.
> Solved for the soon to be released 2.0.4...

Hi,

	Thanks... Unfortunately I misspoke in my private reply. I
had said that I was using mge-shut when I was using the mge-utalk.

	The issue is that when I went to try the mge-shut (I'm
doing this serial) I get :

soekris# /usr/local/libexec/nut/mge-shut -D -D -D -D -D -D -D -D -a ellipse
Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.65 (2.0.3)
debug level is '8'
entering upsdrv_initups()
entering setline(1)

entering shut_ups_start()

sent: (1 bytes) => 16
received: 16
Syncing and notification setting done
Communication with UPS established
entering shut_get_descriptor(n 21, 9)
entering shut_packet_send (8)
shut_checksum = af
sent: (11 bytes) => 81 88 81 06 00 21 00 00 09 00 AF
received: 81
shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
Retry = 1
sent: (1 bytes) => 15
received: 81
shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
Retry = 2
sent: (1 bytes) => 15
received: 00
shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
Retry = 3
sent: (1 bytes) => 15
received: 00
shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
Max tries reached while waiting for ACK, still getting errors
Unable to get HID Descriptor

	Atleast with utalk I was getting SOMEWHERE.

		Thanks, Tuc