[Nut-upsuser] upsmon/upssched shutdown problem

Paul Armor parmor at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Wed May 17 22:57:40 UTC 2006

Hi,
we're trying to do something that's perhaps unorthodox, but seemingly
should work; but not for me.

We've got a Powerware 9315, that we are serially attaching one machine to.
We have several classes of systems that we want to have shut down at
different times.

I've been doing my config testing by attaching the master machine to a
Powerware 9120, and yanking the power chord.

Master: I've successfully configured the one machine so that it detects
power loss, starts a timer, and shuts itself down.

Slave: I've successfully configured one machine to monitor as a slave, it
detects that master's gone on battery, but won't start a timer, nor will
it shut itself down.  Although it will accept the signal from the master
to shut down.  On the slave, I've got the configs and directories set up
with same privs as on the master, but for whatever reason, it doesn't look
like upsmon calls upssched or starts a timer.  Perhaps I'm mistaken in how
I think the slave should act?

What I'd like to be able to do, is have a ranking of machines such that
one class of machine shut themselves down after some very short amount of
time (~30 seconds?) of on_battery; another class shuts themselves down at
some low battery level, and the master shut itself and the UPS itself down
last.

Any pointers/help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul