[Nut-upsuser] no USB/HID UPS found?

Kristian Rink krink at pm-planc.de
Tue May 23 12:17:55 UTC 2006

Hello world;

been using nut atop Debian GNU/Linux (sid) for about two years by now,
my configuration broke as I upgraded the machine this morning (headin'
for kernel 2.6 to have full support for the new GBE NIC included). I
read through the UPGRADE.gz instructions provided with the Debian
packages and tried to fix things according to the instructions pointed
out there, but things still just don't work. Facts:

- machine:
	FSC Primergy Server, Broadcom CSB6 OHCI USB Controller
	2x APC Smart-UPS 1500, connected via USB
	Debian GNU/Linux (sid, up-to-date), kernel 2.6.16.18

* the nut package can't be started anymore:

backer:~# /etc/init.d/nut stop
Stopping Network UPS Tools: (upsdrvctl failed) upsd upsmon.

* In the old configuration I was using the hidups driver, now I tried
newhidups, as well - none of them is actually able to find the UPSes
connected:

backer:~# /lib/nut/newhidups -a power2
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.3)

No matching USB/HID UPS found

backer:~# /lib/nut/newhidups -a power2
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.3)

No matching USB/HID UPS found

* trying to do some debugging (as I read earlier on that list regarding
a problem somewhat similar):

backer:~# /lib/nut/newhidups -u root -DDDDD auto

Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.3)
debug level is '5'
Checking device (051D/0002) (001/005)
- VendorID: 051d
- ProductID: 0002
- Manufacturer: American Power Conversion
- Product: Smart-UPS 1500 RM FW:617.3.I USB FW:1.5
- Serial Number: AS0407211609
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 61939)
Unable to get Report descriptor (-22)
Checking device (051D/0002) (001/004)
- VendorID: 051d
- ProductID: 0002
- Manufacturer: American Power Conversion
- Product: Smart-UPS 1500 RM FW:617.3.I USB FW:1.5
- Serial Number: AS0407311674
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 61939)
Unable to get Report descriptor (-22)
Checking device (0000/0000) (001/001)
- VendorID: 0000
- ProductID: 0000
- Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.16.18 ohci_hcd
- Product: OHCI Host Controller
- Serial Number: 0000:00:0f.2
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping
No appropriate HID device found
No matching USB/HID UPS found

So, obviously the devices are there but in some way not usable... Can
anyone point me out where to look to get things working again?

Thanks in advance and bye,
Kris

--
Kristian Rink   -- Programmierung/Systembetreuung
planConnect GmbH * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden
0176 24472771 * krink at pm-planc.de