[Nut-upsuser] Nut issue or MGE issue?

Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Wed May 24 00:07:04 UTC 2006

> On Wednesday 24 May 2006 06:15, Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H wrote:
> >         I plugged a single lamp into it, with a 60W bulb.
> >
> >         At 3:40p I pulled the power. This is a sample of some readings I
> > took since then :
> >         It seems to have discharged pretty rapidly for only carrying a
> > 60W bulb. The other issue is that at the current time its 4:44, and the
> > power is STILL ON TO THE LAMP! Why has it been saying for 34 minutes that
> > there is 0% battery available, but yet powering a load. And why if there =
> is
> > a bulb, which should be a fairly good constant (Though I have seen the
> > bulb change intensity ever so little since its been on battery), is the
> > load number changing?
>
> The measured load is varying.. If it truly is only a 60W globe then I would
> say the UPS is broken.

	It is a desk lamp, with only a 60W Sylvania bulb in it. There is
NOTHING else plugged in, not even the monitoring server. I was afraid it
was broken. When I plugged the UPS back in, the first monitor of it said there
was an 86% charge already. I plugged it in at 6pm. Its now 8pm and its
claiming 91% charged.

> >         Please let me know if I might have a defective unit, if there is
> > some way to "calibrate it" or if I am not doing the testing/monitoring
> > properly.
>
> You may be able to do a battery test, try..
> upscmd -l myups at localhost
>
> and see if there is a battery test you can do, I get..
> kiruna:~>upscmd -l hid at localhost
> Instant commands supported on UPS [hid at localhost]:
>
> test.battery.start.quick - Unavailable
> test.battery.start.deep - Unavailable
> test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test
> load.off - Turn off the load immediately
> load.on - Turn on the load immediately
>
> (I think the "Unavailable" means the description is unknown, not that the t=
> est=20
> is unavailable.

himinbjorg# upscmd -l ellipse at localhost
Instant commands supported on UPS [ellipse at localhost]:

load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.on - Turn on the load immediately
shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
test.battery.start - Start a battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test

	I'll wait for it to claim to be fully charged before I
start anything.

> > 	(At the same time upslog wasn't any help:
> > 20060523 153139 NA NA NA [NA] NA NA
>
> Looks like you may have specifed the UPS to upslog incorrectly or upsd isn't
> running.

	My bad... I had set the necessary variables incorrectly.

		Tuc