[Nut-upsuser] Nut issue or MGE issue?

Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Wed May 24 13:35:57 UTC 2006

> On Wednesday 24 May 2006 09:37, Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H wrote:
> > > The measured load is varying.. If it truly is only a 60W globe then I
> > > would say the UPS is broken.
> >
> > 	It is a desk lamp, with only a 60W Sylvania bulb in it. There is
> > NOTHING else plugged in, not even the monitoring server. I was afraid it
> > was broken. When I plugged the UPS back in, the first monitor of it said
> > there was an 86% charge already. I plugged it in at 6pm. Its now 8pm and
> > its claiming 91% charged.
>
> Hmm, it's not a fluorescent tube is it?
> UPSs don't really like devices with a poor power factor (eg fluro's, motors,
> etc)

	Nope. Standard filament based house bulb. I tried to get something
that would be the most constant/etc.

> > load.off - Turn off the load immediately
> > load.on - Turn on the load immediately
> > shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
> > shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
> > test.battery.start - Start a battery test
> > test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test
> >
> > 	I'll wait for it to claim to be fully charged before I
> > start anything.
>
> OK, worth a battery test I think.

	Thats weird... When I went to go recharge it , as
soon as I plugged it in, (6:00p) it told me it was already
85% charged. By 10:41 it claimed to be at 100%.

	At 9:07a this morning it still claimed 100% (OL CHRG
in upslog). and I started a battery test :

May 24 09:07:33 himinbjorg upsd[18558]: Connection from 127.0.0.1
May 24 09:07:38 himinbjorg upsd[18558]: Instant command: admin at 127.0.0.1 did tes
t.battery.start on ellipse
May 24 09:07:38 himinbjorg upsd[18558]: Client admin at 127.0.0.1 logged out

	How do I know its doing anything though? Its 9:33a and I see :

battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 30
battery.runtime: 01715
driver.name: mge-shut
driver.parameter.lowbatt: 5
driver.parameter.offdelay: 120
driver.parameter.port: /dev/cuaa0
driver.version: 2.0.3
driver.version.internal: 0.65
outlet.0.desc: Main Outlet
outlet.0.id: 1
outlet.0.switchable: 0
outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low: 0
outlet.1.desc: PowerShare Outlet 1
outlet.1.id: 2
outlet.1.switch: 1
outlet.1.switchable: 1
output.voltage: 120
ups.delay.shutdown: -1
ups.delay.start: -1
ups.load: 2
ups.mfr: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
ups.power.nominal: 1200
ups.serial: unknown
ups.status: OL CHRG

	And there are no front panel lights. I checked UPSRW and
there are no variables there that look like they indicate it.

			Thanks, Tuc