[Nut-upsuser] No communication with UPS

Philippe Marzouk phil at ozigo.org
Wed May 31 06:36:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 04:14:57PM +1000, Daryl K Sayers wrote:

> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.64 (2.0.2)
> No communication with UPS
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>
> If I keep retrying using '/usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl start '
> I keep getting the same error. What I have done in the past is to
> shutdown the machine and unplug all the cables and turn the UPS off. I
> then wait a period of time and plug everything back in and power back on.
> This randomly works and I am able to get a connection back sometimes.

This is the only way to reset the UPS: shutdown the load, shutdown the
UPS, unplug the UPS, wait a few seconds, plug it back and turn it on.

> Now, I dont know if this is a nut problem not initializing corectly or
> its a UPS problem where it locks up and doesnt want to talk. Has anyone
> else seen the problem and what was the solution.

Did you try to play with the "notification" parameter ?

here is the ups.conf file I use on an MGE Ellipse 800 S:

[ellipse]
       driver = mge-shut
       port = /dev/ttyS0
       ondelay = 6