[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower PR2200

Jeff Tucker jeff at jltnet.com
Wed Nov 15 19:58:59 CET 2006

Hi, guys.

I have a new CyberPower PR2200 which I'm trying to control using NUT. It
has a serial port and I'm connected serially. I am using the cyberpower
driver and before a power failure it seems to mostly be working:

jeff at backup:~$ upsc cyberpower at localhost
battery.charge: 000
driver.name: cyberpower
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.version: 2.0.4
driver.version.internal: 1.00
input.frequency: 60.0
input.voltage: 114
ups.firmware: 1.100
ups.load: 040
ups.mfr: CyberPower
ups.model: Unknown model - 22
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 8.0

I'm a little concerned that it says battery.charge: 000 there

Anyway, when I unplug the UPS, I get a notification that the system is
running on battery. Then, about 3 minutes later, the UPS clicks off and
the whole thing is down. I also noticed that during this time the LED's
on the UPS that show load all blink in a repeating pattern.

This is a big UPS powering one machine, so I would expect it to last
longer than 3 minutes. I did the same test without NUT running. After 15
minutes, the UPS still showed 75% charge level. I don't know how long it
would last. Also, the LED's were not blinking.

So, I suspect that the cyberpower driver is doing something to the UPS
that tells it to shut down. The syslog shows the initial event with the
unit going on battery, but nothing further. It doesn't appear that nut
intentionally shut down the UPS. No shutdown was ever started on the
machine, so it just hard crashes.

Any ideas on this? I might just be out of luck with this UPS, I guess.
It's a shame because these things are half the price of a comparable APC.

Jeff