[Nut-upsuser] FreeBSD 6.1, MGE Ellipse ASR600USBS, newhidups & upsd

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Thu Nov 16 21:02:23 CET 2006

Your problem may be related to the way upsd and upsdrvctl interact.
There are several ways to start the driver:

(1) newhidups [options] auto
(2) newhidups [options] -a myprofile
(3) upsdrvctl start myprofile

where "myprofile" is the name of a profile defined in ups.conf.

Except for testing purposes, it is not recommended to start the driver
directly, so you should always use method (3). The problem is that
upsd needs some files in /var/state/ups to be able to locate the
driver; if you start the driver by method (1), these files will be
incorrectly named.

-- Peter