AW: [Nut-upsuser] Belkin F6H650 on USB port

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Thu Oct 19 17:18:02 UTC 2006

We have seen a Belkin F6H500ukUNV before that looked very similar.  We
did not get it to work. See Robert Kent's thread on the nut-upsdev
mailing list in September.

First, the manufacturer is using an illegal vendor id (0001) in
violation of the USB protocol. Second, the device does not seem to be
working properly within the USB specifications; when trying to
communicate with it, it only returns broken pipes.

Your immediate problem is a permissions problem; you should use the
"-u root" option or else the driver drops root privileges before
connecting to the device. You can also set up hotplugging to give
correct ownership to the /proc/bus/usb/002/003 device (or similar),
but "-u root" should do as a temporary solution.

Start the driver like this:

/lib/nut/newhidups -u root -DD -x generic -x vendorid=0001 auto

If you see lots of "Broken pipe" messages, then your device has the
same problems as Robert Kent's. Else, please post the output.

As the author of the belkinunv driver, and the maintainer of the
Belkin subdriver of newhidups, I usually advise people to avoid Belkin
at all cost. They produce crappy hardware that often breaks the USB
protocol and should not be allowed to operate. In some cases, even
their own software does not work properly with their devices.

-- Peter