[Nut-upsuser] Slightly OT: Generators & UPS

Doug Parsons doparsons at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 12:04:09 UTC 2006

I think that you will find that the Halogen lights did the trick. The
"dirty" part of the power often comes from the unloaded generator having
fluctuations or overvoltage. Cheaper designs tend to have a higher unloaded
voltage and often a deformed wave pattern until loaded with a resistive
load. The Halogens fit that bill and helped smooth things out as well as
slightly lower the voltage levels. As for the compact fluorescent  lights,
they can often introduce a lot of noise into the system. It will depend on
the design if the ballast.

Another approach that may solve your issue is to use a 1:1 transformer.
These are often used as filters to help drop the noise level and can
actually smooth out small spikes and dips in the power. You can often find
these cheap from surplus suppliers.

Unless the generator is rated for computer grade power, I would never
recommend connecting directly to it with the PC. The chance of a spike is to
great and no telling how much damage it could cause.

If you know anyone that has an Oscilloscope that you could use, it would be
a good way for you to see the condition of the power from the generator. I
would even recommend looking at you main supply from time to time. I once
found a loose connection on the power companies transformer by watching the
scope. The voltage would shift about 1-2 volts and then shift back. They
thought I was crazy until I caught the arching of the connection on video
and played it back for them.

Good luck.

My $0.015