[Nut-upsuser] (Fwd) Re: Slightly OT: Generators & UPS

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Sep 4 13:18:43 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 19:29, Basheer Noorgat wrote:
> Which leaves me with spare capacity of about 2590w (in theory).

Neither fluros or PC power supplies have a terribly good power factor.

> I think its the halogen lamps that is helping "smooth" out the
> power.
> Previously, when I ran the generator, I did not have the halogen
> lamps
> on,
> and the UPS failed to recharge.

Given they're over a quarter of your total load it's not surprising to find
the generator change characteristic.

I'd look at adjusting the UPS settings if possible - you may be able to tell
it to be less sensitive to poor power.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum