[Nut-upsuser] newhidups, udev, usb, and frustration

Denis Hainsworth denis at alumni.brandeis.edu
Sun Sep 17 12:05:29 UTC 2006

> The mechanism for automatically setting permissions of the
> /proc/bus/usb/XXX/YYY devices is "hotplugging"; see scripts/hotplug or
> scripts/hotplug-ng in the nut distribution. I have used this under
> Fedora Core 4, and it seems to work reasonably well.

holy crap.  just rpm'd the hotplug stuff for fc3. added an appropriate
line to usb.usermap and a script that changes permissions and group
and it just worked. so easy, yet so confusing.  I swear this
hotplug/udev stuff has to be the most confusing stuff i've run into on
linux since maybe the early days of crafting monitor timing lines by
hand for X11 :)  at the end of this message is the bits I added in the
off chance it helps someone.  THANK YOU PETER!

however I have one last issue that I was curious if anyone had fixed. I
am going to see if I can get a newer version of nut hoping it resolves
the issue.  now that its work i'm getting spammed with the following
message is syslog:

usb 1-1: usbfs: process 32652 (newhidups) did not claim interface 0
before use

here's the relevent bits for in /etc/hotplug using mostly fc3 pkgs.

usb.usermap:
ups.belkin               0x0000      0x050d   0x0551    0x0000
0x0000       0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00
0x00
  0x00               0x00000000

usb/ups.belkin:
#!/bin/bash

if [ "${ACTION}" = "add" ] && [ -f "${DEVICE}" ]
then
  chmod 660 $DEVICE
  chgrp nut $DEVICE
fi