[Nut-upsuser] help w/ Powerware Prestige 9

Kipp Cannon kipp at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Thu Sep 21 02:50:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Kipp Cannon wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Kjell Claesson wrote:
>
>> Hi Kipp, some followup on the last mail.
>>
>> I have checked up the manual of the ups.
>> on http://www.powerware.com/Products/end_of_life_Manuals.asp
>> Powerware 9 Prestige Series User's Guide 600 VA-1800 VA.
>>
>> To run it on LanSafe it should be set in printer mode, and
>> the driver works like LanSafe. So check your communication
>> settings on the ups.
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for this suggestion.  Unfortunately, I followed the instructions in
> the manual to put the UPS into "Printer Mode, 2400 Baud", and nothing
> changed.  I still get:
>
> root% upsdrvctl -v start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
> exec: /lib/nut/bcmxcp -a powerware
> Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.4)
>
> Connected to UPS on /dev/ttyS0 baudrate: 2400
> Model = Powerware Prestige 1000VA
> Firmware = 01.06
> Shutdown delay =  120 seconds
> Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): 9!!!
>
> Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): 9!!!
>
> Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): 9!!!
>
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Could not communicate with the ups: Success
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>

> Am I supposed to use the same driver (bcmxcp), or am I supposed to try a
> different one?

Hi again,

Another piece of information is that prior to running upsdrvctl, I am able
to communicate with the UPS using minicom.  If I start minicom (2400N81),
and press CTRL-C a few times, the UPS displays a configuration menu with a
variety of options (as the manual says it should).  After running
"upsdrvctl -v start", and the NUT driver fails, if I then run minicom
again the UPS is non-responsive.  It is necessary to do a manual shutdown,
disconnect from wall power, reconnect, and restart in order to restore
communications with the UPS.

 							-Kipp