[Nut-upsuser] help w/ Powerware Prestige 9

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at telia.com
Thu Sep 21 22:45:49 UTC 2006

OK Kipp,

8<--------------snip----------------
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for this suggestion.  Unfortunately, I followed the instructions in
> > the manual to put the UPS into "Printer Mode, 2400 Baud", and nothing
> > changed.  I still get:
> >
> > root% upsdrvctl -v start
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
> > exec: /lib/nut/bcmxcp -a powerware
> > Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.4)
> >
> > Connected to UPS on /dev/ttyS0 baudrate: 2400
> > Model = Powerware Prestige 1000VA
> > Firmware = 01.06
> > Shutdown delay =  120 seconds
> > Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): 9!!!
> >
> > Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): 9!!!
> >
> > Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): 9!!!
> >
> > Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> > Could not communicate with the ups: Success
> > Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
> >

> > Am I supposed to use the same driver (bcmxcp), or am I supposed to try a
> > different one?

It should work with the bcmxcp driver. But there is something that
is missing.

Command Acknowledge block may be sent in response to any block request
if the data response is not implemented or temporarily unavailable.

And that situation is not handled by the driver at the moment.
It only take care of that when it knows it would get a command
acknowledge.

Looks like the PW9315 PW9150 and Prestige9 use a slight different
protocol.

The driver that may work is the genericups driver using contact
closure. But this is hard to setup as you need the right cable
and the settings for the driver.

> Hi again,
>
> Another piece of information is that prior to running upsdrvctl, I am able
> to communicate with the UPS using minicom.  If I start minicom (2400N81),
> and press CTRL-C a few times, the UPS displays a configuration menu with a
> variety of options (as the manual says it should).  After running
> "upsdrvctl -v start", and the NUT driver fails, if I then run minicom
> again the UPS is non-responsive.  It is necessary to do a manual shutdown,
> disconnect from wall power, reconnect, and restart in order to restore
> communications with the UPS.

It depends on the fact that it is left in xcp mode. And to get it out of
that you need to send 0xFA or 0XFF to it. But it need to be sent in
the right way Like this 0xAB 0x01 0xFA 0xXX, (where 0xXX is the
checksum ) this would bring it back to main menu.

One thing to try is to run it in terminal mode instead of printer mode.

Regards
Kjell