[Nut-upsuser] nut suddenly stopped working...

A.Lizard alizard at ecis.com
Fri Feb 23 23:13:14 CET 2007

At 01:01 PM 2/23/07, you wrote:
>[please, keep the traffic on the list]
Now that I'm awake, no problem.

This is how message traffic is showing up from the list:

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:27:57 +0100
From: "Arnaud Quette" <aquette.dev at gmail.com>
To: "Peter Selinger" <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca>
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsuser] how do I find the association between a usb
Cc: "A.Lizard" <alizard at ecis.com>, nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org
          <20070223165815.9DC305C27E at chase.mathstat.dal.ca>
x-security: VScan v0.85 - http://hoopajoo.net
x-virus-found: no

So my default "hit reply" reflex sends e-mail to the poster, not to the list.

>2007/2/23, A.Lizard <alizard at ecis.com>:
>>At 05:12 AM 2/23/07, you wrote:
>> >Not sure you've seen it, so I step up:
>> >
>> >in the "ps" output, there is: hald-addon-hid-ups
>> >this is an HAL addon, based upon the same code as our old hidups...
>> >this is what I'm working on in NUT to replace.
>> >I've not thought at it before since I've completely disabled hiddev
>> >support in kernel for MGE units, but any other brand that is HID
>> >compliant, should face it.
>> >
>> >the detach method might fail since the driver is _used_, not only loaded!
>> >
>> >Note that the above is the reason why I've not thrown out _our_ HAL
>> >support: we still need a way to instruct the HAL autoloaded drivers
>> >not to run if we want to use the classic nut . And this will be done
>> >through the new config (nut.conf -> MODE)
>> >
>> >I've no clean solution apart from removing / renaming the addon...
>>
>>So I should try finding the addon and removing or renaming it?
>
>right
>
>simply unplug your UPS' USB cord
>rename the hald-addon-hid-ups file (should be somewhere in
>/usr/lib/hal ; use rpm or deb to query the content exact and path of
>the hal package)
>plug back your USB cord,
>retry the previous tests.

thanks, I'll give it a try.

A.Lizard

>Arnaud
>--
>Linux / Unix Expert - MGE UPS SYSTEMS - R&D Dpt
>Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
>Debian Developer - http://people.debian.org/~aquette/
>OpenSource Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/

member The Internet Society (ISOC), The HTML Writers Guild.
"You can't have in a democracy various groups with arms - you have to have
the state with a monopoly on power." Condoleeza Rice, US Secretary of State
Personal Website http://www.ecis.com/~alizard
business Website http://www.reptilelabs.com
backup address (if ALL else fails) alizard at gmail.com
PGP 8.0 key available by request or keyserver. Download PGP from:
http://www.pgpi.org for e-mail privacy.
Disaster prep info: http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/y2k.html
***Looking for INTELLIGENT new technology public policy
alternatives?***               http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/technology.html