[Nut-upsuser] nut suddenly stopped working...

A.Lizard alizard at ecis.com
Tue Feb 27 13:42:59 CET 2007

At 03:20 AM 2/27/07, you wrote:
Thanks. What I wanted was the latest version short of building it from the
code in subversion. (which I consider kind of a last resort, since I've

The latest version available packaged for Debian that I can find on the
Debian site is 2.0.5-3, the one I've previously had trouble with. So that's
the one I should be using? Would I be better off dumping the source build
and installing 2.0.5-3 , or doing a source build from the 2.1. development
tree?

and "upsd gets a 'connection refused' message" was a typo, I meant *upsc* .
I haven't tried running upsd since building the wrong source package.

thanks
A.Lizard

> > I tried building nut 2.0.5 pre2 from source using the user=nut and make
> > usb options, and got the same results.
>
>That's an old version, please don't use that anymore. The latest stable
>version is nut-2.0.5. Furthermore, you should specify the same '-u user'
>for both upsdrvctl and upsd.
>
> > It works from -u root, but upsd gets a "connection refused" message.
>
>The fact that it works as root is usually is indicative for a permissions
>problem on the usb port. The other message is probably due to the fact
>that if you run the driver as root, upsd must run as root too.
>
> > Same messages when I run newhidups directly. I can't find any processes
> > connected to the UPS.
>
>If you start up the driver via upsdrvctl, the driver will show up as
>'newhidups' if started successfully.
>
> > I am open to suggestions. Giving up isn't an option for me, I really do
> > need to get this running and more to the point, I'm writing an article
> > about this which is due in a few days.
> >
> > here's some of the output I've gotten:
> > terrarium:/usr/local/ups/etc# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl start
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.5-pre2
> > Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30
> > (2.0.5-pre2)
> >
> > No matching HID UPS found
> > Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>
>See above.
>
> > terrarium:/usr/local/ups/etc# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl stop
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.5-pre2
> > Can't open /var/state/ups/newhidups-belkin-ups.pid: No such file or
> > directory
>
>If the driver isn't running, you can't stop it (there will be no pid file).
>
> > terrarium:/usr/local/ups/etc# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl -u root start
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.5-pre2
> > Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30
> > (2.0.5-pre2)
> >
> > Detected a UPS: Belkin/UPS
> > Using subdriver: Belkin HID 0.1
>
>After this, starting 'upsd -u root' should also work.
>
> > terrarium:/usr/local/ups/etc# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl -u root stop
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.5-pre2
>
>This means the state directory apparently exists, a driver was found and
>it has been send a signal to stop successfully. Most likely, it will stop.
>
> > terrarium:/usr/local/ups/etc# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl -u nut stop
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.5-pre2
> > Can't open /var/state/ups/newhidups-belkin-ups.pid: No such file or
> > directory
>
>You already stopped the driver in the step before, so there is nothing
>left to stop.
>
> > terrarium:/usr/local/ups/etc# /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl -u nut start
> > Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.5-pre2
> > Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30
> > (2.0.5-pre2)
> >
> > No matching HID UPS found
> > Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

> [...]

member The Internet Society (ISOC), The HTML Writers Guild.
"You can't have in a democracy various groups with arms - you have to have
the state with a monopoly on power." Condoleeza Rice, US Secretary of State
Personal Website http://www.ecis.com/~alizard
business Website http://www.reptilelabs.com
backup address (if ALL else fails) alizard at gmail.com
PGP 8.0 key available by request or keyserver. Download PGP from:
http://www.pgpi.org for e-mail privacy.
Disaster prep info: http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/y2k.html
***Looking for INTELLIGENT new technology public policy
alternatives?***               http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/technology.html