[Nut-upsuser] UPS cooling

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 15:06:58 UTC 2007

I've kludged together a cooling solution for my UPS - one USB cable, one 8cm
fan from an old unused computer (nominally 12V, but running it at 5V is
fine), two short pieces of copper wire and a few fragments of power cable
insulation to hold the wires in place against the 5V and GND pins (let's just
say that shorting 5V with a data pin doesn't sound like a good idea to me).

Leaving it pointed at one of my UPS's air vents, I get a reported 20°C drop
in temperature; the front of the UPS case does indeed feel noticeably cooler.
I don't recall if there's a fan in the F6C625-220V but if there is, it's
clearly stopped working...

(I do find it slightly curious that both "battery.temperature" and
"ups.temperature" are always identical...)

| + Travel less. Share transport more.           PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

If you make a mistake, you right it immediately to the best of your ability.