[Nut-upsuser] abusing nut ups to do temperature shutdown WHILE monitoring UPS'es

Jon Bendtsen jon.bendtsen at laerdal.dk
Thu Jul 26 09:17:34 UTC 2007

I am thinking about using the existing NUT software to tell the slave
to shutdown if the temperature in the server room becomes too high.

I was thinking of monitoring the temperature on the master NUT server
then just letting the slave clients shut down. But the slaves (and
server) needs to do a complete power off even though the UPS's does
get 220v power all the time. Does nut do a complete power off by default
for slave clients?

The reason i want to do this is because what if the master UPS server
too hot, and shuts down. But that means all the nut slave clients
looses connection
to the ups master server, and then later the power to the UPS's are
Then noone will tell the NUT slave clients to shut down gracefully.

I am open to other suggestions if anyone has (better) ideas.