[Nut-upsuser] Nut fsd command ignored: bcmxcp_usb driver, Powerware 5105 UPS

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:34:54 UTC 2007

2007/7/26, Stuart Rackham <srackham at methods.co.nz>:
> Hi
>
> I'm having a  problem with the bcmxcp_usb driver FSD command: everything
> seems to work apart from:
>
>    upsmon -c fsd
>
> Environment: Ubuntu 7.04, nut 2.0.5-1, nut-usb 2.0.5-1, Powerware 3105
> UPS.
>
> upsd appears to send the FSD command to the UPS, upsmon then runs my
> NOTIFYCMD (which halts my PC) but the UPS just doesn't turn off.
> Here are the /var/log/daemon.log entries:
>
> Jul 24 23:13:16 kea upsmon[5226]: Signal 10: User requested FSD
> Jul 24 23:13:16 kea upsd[5223]: Client monuser at 127.0.0.1 set FSD on UPS
> [pw3105]
> Jul 24 23:13:16 kea upsmon[5226]: Executing automatic power-fail shutdown
> Jul 24 23:13:16 kea upsmon[5226]: Auto logout and shutdown proceeding
> Jul 24 23:13:21 kea upsd[5223]: Host 127.0.0.1 disconnected (read failure)
>    :
> Jul 24 23:13:28 kea upsd[5223]: Signal 15: exiting
>
> I might have suspected the UPS or USB interface/cable if not for the
> fact that the shutdown.stayoff instant command works -- turns ups off
> immediately and that notifications are returned from the UPS.
>
> The bcmxcp_usb driver reports the following status:
>
> # upsc pw3105 at localhost
> driver.name: bcmxcp_usb
> driver.parameter.port: auto
> driver.parameter.shutdown_delay: 120
> driver.version: 2.0.5
> driver.version.internal: 0.11
> input.phases: 1
> ups.firmware: 00.80
> ups.model: POWERWARE UPS    500VA
> ups.power.nominal: 500
> ups.serial:
> ups.status: OL
> ups.voltage.nominal: 240
>
> One peculiarity -- even though the test.battery.start instant command
> is listed it puts this in the log:
>
> Jul 24 23:08:11 kea bcmxcp_usb[5221]: [test.battery.start] not supported
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Debian, and derivatives such as Ubuntu, declares a generic handler in
the halt script:
        # See if we need to cut the power.
        if [ "$INIT_HALT" = "POWEROFF" ] && [ -x /etc/init.d/ups-monitor ]
        then
                /etc/init.d/ups-monitor poweroff
        fi

This works for nut and apcupsd...
now, I've asked a long time ago to have libusb in /lib (instead of
/usr/lib) just to be sure that the lib is still reachable at shutdown
time (otherwise, the driver wouldn't ever fire up!)

the strange point is that we have validated it again this week (a new
MGE PSP release is underway) on Ubuntu (dapper and feisty), using nut
2.2.0 and it (the UPS shutoff / poweroff) worked! But I admit there
might be an upstart (the init replacement) specific out there...

Is the shutoff working otherwise (ie calling upsdrvctl -k (CAUTION: no
sensitive load on the UPS; only light bulbs or alike))?

A (temporary) workaround, if your unit provide a sufficient delay, is
to have the SHUTDOWNCMD in upsmon.conf pointing to a script calling
upsrw / upscmd to launch the delayed shutdown with enough time to
shutdown the system, and then call the shutdown / halt / whatever
command...

Arnaud
Ubuntu Media Center (UMC) Project Leader - https://launchpad.net/~umc-team