[Nut-upsuser] OMNIVS1500XL and FreeBSD

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:17:36 CET 2007

On 3/4/07, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Charles Lepple wrote:
> > Also, the USB receive never seems to fail, just that the data we read
> > does not match the data that gets sent.
> >
> > e.g. if I send ":P<checksum>" then I expect to get a response that
> > starts with "P", otherwise it's just old data in the serial-to-USB
> > FIFO.
>
> Blech.  That sounds like something non-trivial to fix (regardless of
> whether it's the driver or FreeBSD).

Actually, that's how this particular USB-to-serial converter works.
You send the command a few times, and keep polling it for the received
data until it looks right.

> > Another option might be for you to see if you can connect that UPS to
> > a WinXP system and do some USB packet capture. (I'm not sure how
> > feasible this is, given your power situation.)
>
> I could probably arrange that.  What do you think the chances are of WinXP
> in a virtual machine (Parallels) working?  I could also take a stab at
> making this thing dual-boot.  What tool does one use in Windows to do USB
> packet capture?

I haven't tried Parallels yet - my Macs are both PowerPC. It might
work, though. It depends whether the USB support is completely
emulated or not.

> From what I gather the UPS tools built in to OS-X can talk to this UPS as
> well.  But I wouldn't know where to start as far as getting packet
> captures there...

Unfortunately, neither do I. So if you plug it in to an OS X box, do
you see an "UPS" tab in the "Energy Saver" control panel?

--
- Charles Lepple