[Nut-upsuser] APC/MGE and NUT support

Jon Gough jon.gough at eclipsesystems.com.au
Fri Mar 9 21:57:07 CET 2007

Arnaud,
    I know this may be contentious, but what
benefit does Schneider gain from supporting the
NUT software? Does Schneider intend to sell UPS
control software? If so the NUT software may be
in direct competition. If not, they may not
consider the cost worth it for a 'few' linux
machines, as they may be looking at much bigger
environment, ie 'Windoze servers', or current
mainstream unix data centres. Is the Schneider
market considerably different from APC, ie did
APC aim at small offices/ homes etc?

I am happy to send a mail to the suggestions box,
but as I don't have one of these UPSs I am not
sure how much clout I will have saying they
should continue to pay for supporting rivals equipment.

Regards
    Jon

At 02:15 10/03/2007, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>thank you Frédéric for such a support mail,
>
>2007/3/2, Frédéric Massot <frederic at juliana-multimedia.com>:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Perhaps as you know it Schneider Electric acquired APC, which involves
>>the combination of APC and MGE. http://www.apc-mge.com
>>
>>MGE is an important contributor for NUT with for example Arnaud Quette,
>>it's does not that the MGE strategy for the free software is stopped by
>>Schneider Electric or APC.
>>
>>It is the good moment to make pressure on Schneider Electric, MGE and
>>APC to support the NUT project. You can send an email at this address
>>"suggestions at APC-MGE.com" to ask the free software strategy and for the
>>support of the NUT project.
>>
>>It should be made that APC supports really the NUT project and the free
>>software.  :o)
>
>I'm astonished that nobody has discussed this _important_ point.
>
>The MGE + APC merger represent the biggest manufacturer in the domain,
>far away from its followers (powerware, liebert, ...)
>
>The more support from the Community, by mailing to the above address,
>the more chance to keep MGE support and get APC one.
>
>Arnaud
>--
>Linux / Unix Expert - MGE UPS SYSTEMS - R&D Dpt
>Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org/
>Debian Developer - http://people.debian.org/~aquette/
>OpenSource Developer - http://arnaud.quette.free.fr/

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000722-4, 09/03/2007
Tested on: 10/03/2007 7:57:30 AM