[Nut-upsuser] Is newhidups driver still in memory just before o/s halt ?

lonely wolf wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Mar 23 01:20:19 CET 2007

On 03/22/2007 10:50 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Marc Rechté <marc2 at rechte.fr> wrote:
>> Hello Charles,
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback.
>>
>> This is Red Hat EL 4.
>>
>> You seem to be right about the mounted filesystem. This is the last
>> lines of halt script:
>>
>> # Try all file systems other than root and RAM disks, one last time.
>> mount |  awk '!/( \/ |^\/dev\/root|^\/dev\/ram| \/proc )/ { print $3
>> }' | \
>>    while read line; do
>>      umount -f $line
>> done
> [...]
>> Of course I will not touch this script, but there is a possibility to
>> write one's own /sbin/halt.local script. Is not it too late to use the
>> usb driver ?
>
> If the USB filesystem is mounted at /dev/bus/usb (as many
> distributions seem to do), then you will have to juggle things around.
>
> I don't have any RHEL boxes to test against, but I think it is
> /proc/bus/usb on FC6. Not sure if that's an artifact of upgrading from
> an earlier FC release, though.
RHEL 4 has only /proc/bus/usb; FC6 has both /proc/bus/usb and /dev/bus/usb

For the original poster: you can safely modify /etc/init.d/halt, just
make sure that
-  you do not cut the power before unmounting all FS to which things are
written (those with persistent storage)
- keep the modified script handy, because any update of the initscripts
rpm will probably overwrite it
You might wish to take a look at the scripts included in FC devel
(rawhide) rpms, they might be useful