[Nut-upsuser] Belkin USB UPSes

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue May 29 09:09:14 UTC 2007

Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
> >System log has many entries that say:
> >
> >May 24 12:18:37 snark kernel: [136718.407859] usb 3-2: usbfs: process
> >26061 (megatec_usb) did not claim interface 0 before use
> >
> >How do I troubleshoot this?
>
> not a big trouble, but we are still having sometime such msg.
> this claiming lies in drivers/libusb.c->libusb_open()
> Is it easily reproducible?

Yes.  I've since learned that it's caused by a permissions problem when
opening the device.  To reproduce, leave the --with-user option off your
configure line.

> this is the whole point: you don't have to configure anything, and the
> driver (aka hal addon) is loaded automagically when the device
> plugged. Then the guys (like gnome-power-mgr) is also poping auto ...
> I've had an intern last year to work on configuration things that
> would have been useful, but I'll now leave the "autoconfig upon USB
> device detection" down. HAL is the clear path and is supported by all
> the NUT USB supported platform (linux, *bsd, solaris)
>
> I know you're seeking for usability and easiness, so you might be
> interested in giving a try!

I am not certain I understood this explanation correctly.  Is hald, then,
going to replace the top two levels (upsd and upsmon) of the present
nut architecture?