[Nut-upsuser] Can't get 'load.off' to turn off power to the PC: CyberPower 1200AVR

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Sep 17 19:45:17 UTC 2007

Mark E. Hansen wrote:

>> Apparently, the granualarity on you UPS is 1 minute and it will report the
>> final time as -60 seconds. This is odd and violates the HID Power Devices
>> specification. Having said that, it will probably also violate this with
>> regard to the fact that a zero delay is a valid value and may expect
>> something like 60 seconds here as minimum delay.
> Is it possible that these values are the result of my trying to change
> these settings?

Not very likely. Looking at the HID values your UPS supports, it doesn't
look like you can change the units it reports.

> I don't remember specifically which settings I was trying
> to change, but I was trying to configure the UPS to request a shutdown of
> my PC earlier during the power failure. Currently, it waits until the
> battery is nearly depleted, which leaves no battery after the power comes
> back on.

You can probably change that through upsrw (see 'man 8 upsrw'). You'll
want to change the value for 'battery.charge.low', which is currently
set at 10%, which is indeed a bit low. Running

	upsrw myupsname

should list all the variables that you can modify.

[...]

> I built the package from the sources, and I can certainly do that again.
> I can also switch to the development version, if you think that would
> make things easier. Will I be able to use my existing configuration files?

Yes.

> If you think I should, I will work on downloading the development version
> and get it built and installed and working (as much as the current version
> is working, that is). It would be easier for me to just make changes to the
> existing version and re-build/install it, but I'll let you decide which
> you think is best.

Go for the development version. That has a much improved usbhid-ups
driver, which also allows for better debugging.

Alternatively, you might use upsrw and experiment with the value of
'ups.delay.shutdown', which changes the same value in the UPS as the
'load.off' command will. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a
'ups.delay.restart', so you will need to press the power button to
switch the output back on again.