[Nut-upsuser] UPS shows 120%

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Fri Sep 21 20:36:50 UTC 2007

> I just got NUT 2.0.1 running on my Debian system at home.

No, you have nut-2.0.4 running according to upsc. :-) The newhidups driver
in nut-2.0.1 only supported MGE devices.

> I have a new CPS UPS connected via USB.  Everything is working fine,
> except the UPS is showing a value of 120% charged.

This probably means that the HID path 'UPS.PowerSummary.RemainingCapacity'
has a very different meaning for CyberPower devices, than it has for APC
where it indicates the battery charge. It also means, that we might have
to make a separate subdriver to deal with this (I was already afraid of
that from looking at the very different HID paths it uses).

> Any idea what causes this?

Apparently, CyberPower doesn't follow the HID Power Devices specification.
That's sad, but we can probably work around that.

> Here's the upsc output for my UPS:
>
> battery.charge: 120

That is indeed suspicious.

> battery.charge.low: 10
> battery.charge.warning: 20
> battery.runtime: 1320
> battery.runtime.low: 300
> battery.type: PbAcid
> battery.voltage: 20.2

Seems to be a little high for a 12V battery system as reported below.

> battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
> driver.name: newhidups
> driver.parameter.port: auto
> driver.version: 2.0.4
> driver.version.data: APC/CyberPower HID 0.9
> driver.version.internal: 0.28
> input.transfer.high: 140
> input.transfer.low: 90
> input.voltage: 121.0
> input.voltage.nominal: 120
> output.voltage: 122.0
> ups.beeper.status: enabled
> ups.delay.shutdown: -1
> ups.load: 24.0
> ups.mfr: CPS
> ups.model: UPS BF700
> ups.status: OL

What we need is the output from the driver running in debug mode

    newhidups -DD -a <upsname>

in order to write a new subdriver. Preferably from a somewhat more recent
version of NUT, but if nut-2.0.4 is all you have, that will do.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands