[Nut-upsuser] Network UPS Tools version 2.2.2-pre1 released

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 09:23:33 UTC 2008

Bonjour Jean,

2008/4/4, Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org>:
> Salut Arnaud,
>

>  On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:31:36 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>  > Network UPS Tools version 2.2.2-pre1 has been released.
>  >
>  >  http://www.networkupstools.org/
>  >
>  > Direct access:
>  > - Download: http://www.networkupstools.org/source/2.2/testing/nut-2.2.2-pre1.tar.gz
>  > - News: http://www.networkupstools.org/source/2.2/testing/new-2.2.2-pre1.txt
>  > - ChangeLog: http://www.networkupstools.org/source/2.2/testing/ChangeLog
>

> I've given a try to this pre-release. Overall, everything looks good, I
>  did not hit any regression. A more detailed report follows if you are
>  interested. Thanks a lot for the good work!
>
>  My UPS is an APC Back-UPS RS 800, I use the usbhid-ups driver.
>
>  I saw the following changes when upgrading from NUT 2.2.1 to 2.2.2-pre1:
>
>  * battery.temperature changed from 28 degrees C to 29.2 degrees C. Note
>   that I am a bit skeptical about the reported value though, as it
>   basically never changed since I installed the UPS over a month ago,
>   while the room temperature did change a lot over this period of time.
>   I also remember that all the apcupsd reports I found for this
>   particular UPS model had exactly 29.2 degrees C as the battery
>   temperature. Very suspicious isn't it? FWIW, the Windows tool that
>   comes with this UPS doesn't display any temperature value. I suspect
>   that the UPS doesn't actually have a temperature sensor and is
>   returning an arbitrary temperature value instead.

iirc, that's true. But we don't have much choice there.
the thing would be to be sure that this specific value is hard coded,
and so that we can safely ignore it.

>  * ups.delay.shutdown changed from -1 to 20. 3 new attributes appeared:
>   ups.delay.start (30), ups.timer.reboot (0) and ups.timer.shutdown
>   (-1). No idea what the last 2 are.

yep, the -1 values were inherited from my very first USB devs.
since these are mapped to HID values (in the UPS) and are in fact
timers, -1 means that these are inactive. So the right values for the
ups.delay.* are the real values (default or settings) used for the
various shutdown sequences.
Now, the previous ones (used for ups.delay.*) have moved to
ups.timer.* which makes more sense.

>  * 3 new commands appeared: load.off.delay, load.on, and shutdown.return.
>   I didn't try them, as I'm not sure I understand what "load" means in
>   this context, and I wouldn't want to accidentally kill my server.

this is due to the rework on the shutdown handling in usbhid-ups.
there were some wrong things that have been addressed. the result is
that some new commands appeared. The "load" notion is linked to the
devices wired on the UPS' output (and which sums up in the ups.load
field).

I hope to have answered your questions.

btw, you might be our news relay for NUT on LinuxFr ;-)
NUT really needs some advert and promotion...
I would also be glad to see you promoting the FLOSS/NUT friendly
manufacturer(s) ^_^

thanks for your feedback,
Arnaud
--