[Nut-upsuser] TrippLite OmniVS1000 not recognized?

Matt Fischer tadowguy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:58:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Matt Fischer <tadowguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Compatibility page lists the OMNIVS1000 as supported, but the
> > tripplite_usb driver doesn't seem to recognize my UPS.  Below is the
> debug
> > dump from attempting to load the driver.  I am using the nut package
> from
> > Debian: 2.2.1-2.1 and I was wondering if this was a known issue?
> >
> > maroon:/lib/nut# /lib/nut/tripplite_usb -DDDDD -a usbups
> > Network UPS Tools - Tripp Lite OMNIVS and SMARTPRO driver 0.11 (2.2.1-)
> > Warning: This is an experimental driver.
> > Some features may not function correctly.
> >
> > debug level is '5'
> [...]
> > Checking device (09AE/1007) (002/008)
> > - VendorID: 09ae
> > - ProductID: 1007
> > - Manufacturer: Tripp Lite
> > - Product: TRIPP LITE UPS
> > - Serial Number: FW-2263 E
> > - Bus: 002
> >  Trying to match device
> > Device does not match - skipping
>
> Well, they did it again - Tripp Lite changed the product ID while
> keeping the model name the same.
>
> You can try using some of the options on the tripplite_usb man page to
> force loading the driver, but if it is closer in lineage to the OMNI
> LCD models (or whatever they're called), then you might have better
> luck with the usbhid-ups driver.
>
> Also, please let us know roughly when this OMNIVS1000 was manufactured
> (as well as which driver works, and with what options), so that we can
> update the compatibility list.
>
> thanks,
>
> --
> - Charles Lepple

Doing a reply to all (including the list) since I forgot the first time
(personally, I blame gmail).

This unit was just pulled out of the box yesterday and was ordered a few
months back, so it's pretty new.  I don't see anything about dates on the
box, but I see a "Series# AGOM6032" on the box which perhaps helps.

I had poor results with both drivers, but I got farther with usbhid-ups
using -x productid=1007.   It looks like that driver retrieved some info and
then went into an infinite loop (all details attached in uncompressed
files).  The tripplite driver failed after sending a watchdog command and
gave up.

note: I had to kill the usbhid-ups driver with kill -9 after a bit, if you
want me to let it run longer, let me know, but I think it's just spinning.