[Nut-upsuser] 2.2.2-pre2 64 bit rpm tested on openSUSE 10.3

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Apr 20 14:46:07 UTC 2008

Roger Price wrote:

> My 64 bit rpm's are available at
>
> http://rogerprice.org/nut-2.2.2/nut-2.2.2-pre2.x86_64.rpm
> http://rogerprice.org/nut-2.2.2/nut-devel-2.2.2-pre2.x86_64.rpm
> http://rogerprice.org/nut-2.2.2/nut-hal-2.2.2-pre2.x86_64.rpm

Great, thanks for that!

>> The nut-hal package is a package that contains the hal drivers and fdi file
>> udev rules.
>>
>> As you are using a usb ups, you may use this instead of the nut package.
>> If you install it, the ups gets hotplugged by udev hal and would show up as a
>> battery in the power monitor in Gnome. (should be the same in KDE)
>>
>> So no configuration or anything. Just plug it in and it should work.
>
> Hello Kjell, I guess that there would be some configuration, for example
> to say after what interval shutdown would start, and to specify the
> shutdown command.

No, that would all be done automatically. The built-in defaults should
take care of that. If these somehow are not what you need, you just
can't use the HAL enabled drivers. Using configuration files is a no-no
here and pretty much defeats the whole purpose of setting things up
automatically.

[...]

> For me power monitoring should, like justice, not only be done but be seen
> to be done: I have gotten used to the screen display provided by
> mgeups-psp so I installed nut-2.2.2-pre2.x86_64.rpm and mgeups-psp-3.0.4-2

I'm not sure how well this works, but Arnaud is the expert on this. He
can probably answer this authoritatively.

[...]

> # /etc/ups/upssched.conf
> CMDSCRIPT /usr/sbin/upssched-cmd
> #PIPEFN /var/state/ups/upssched.pipe
> #LOCKFN /var/state/ups/upssched.lock
> PIPEFN /var/run/ups/upssched.pipe
> LOCKFN /var/run/ups/upssched.lock
> AT ONBATT * START-TIMER ups-on-battery-timer 121
> AT ONLINE * CANCEL-TIMER ups-on-battery-timer
> AT ONBATT * EXECUTE ups-on-battery
> AT ONLINE * EXECUTE ups-back-on-line
>
> There is no /var/state in openSUSE 10.3, so I changed PIPEFN and LOCKFN to
> /var/run and defined directory /var/run/ups.

We need a pre3 to fix this since this has been a long standing bug. This
path is hardcoded in the example configuration, where running
./configure should set this path properly. In fact, Charles fixed this
in the trunk, but apparently we didn't backport the fix to Testing. Good
catch!

> And now, flags waving and fireworks for the grand opening:
>
> glacon2:~ # rcupsd start
> Starting NUT UPS drivers             done
> Starting NUT UPS server              done
> Starting NUT UPS monitor             done
>
> There is no sign of action by mgeups-psp, no window, no icon.

Again, Arnaud should be able to tell if this is good or bad.

> glacon2:~ # ps aux | grep ups
> upsd  16455  16484 1004 ? Ss /usr/lib/ups/driver/usbhid-ups -a mgeups
> upsd  16459  14328  720 ? Ss /usr/sbin/upsd -u upsd
> root  16462  16168  696 ? Ss /usr/sbin/upsmon
> upsd  16463  16592  816 ? S  /usr/sbin/upsmon
>
> I wonder why upsmon is running twice?

This is documented in the FAQ, from line 672 down.

> In YaST2 -> System -> System Services (Runlevel) I set upsd
> "Enabled" and restarted the machine for a clean test.
> After restart, in /var/log/messages I see
>
> usbhid-ups[3868]: Startup successful
> upsd[3871]: listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493
> upsd[3871]: Connected to UPS [mgeups]: usbhid-ups-mgeups
> upsd[3872]: Startup successful
> upsmon[3875]: Startup successful
> upsd[3872]: Connection from 127.0.0.1
> upsd[3872]: Client monuser at 127.0.0.1 logged into UPS [mgeups]
> upsmon[3876]: Master privileges unavailable on UPS [mgeups at localhost]
> upsmon[3876]: Response: [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]

This is documented in the FAQ, from line 124 down. Fix this first and
then retry.