[Nut-upsuser] Network UPS Tools version 2.2.2-pre2 released

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Apr 21 08:44:47 UTC 2008

Arnaud Quette wrote:
> I previously splitted the Debian packages in nut, nut-usb, nut-cgi,
> nut-snmp, nut-dev, nut-doc (empty ATM) and now nut-hal-drivers. I've
> then re-integrated the USB part into the core package since it's usual
> to have libusb, even on headless server (and USB tend to become to
> standard for serial connections). I now also see a new one (nut-xml).
> This reflexion is part of the NUT Packaging Standard, but I'd like to
> see some uniform approach between distros and OSs integrating NUT.
>
> Have you talked about that split with Stanislav Brabec?

No, and that's because I doubt that openSUSE will follow this approach.
Historically, there hasn't been too much interest in splitting packages,
since SuSE (now openSUSE) attempts to create a working configuration out
of the box. Therefor, it made little sense to split these packages up as
they all needed to be installed anyway.

This may have changed now that we actually have conflicting packages and
the HAL drivers. I think it would be a good idea to install the HAL
enabled drivers by default, so that the majority of (desktop) users
won't have to configure anything. Only if the specifically need the
network enabled ones, to install 'classic' NUT and remove the HAL
enabled ones. I'll take this up with Stanislav.