[Nut-upsuser] Network UPS Tools version 2.2.2-pre2 released

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Apr 21 11:26:41 UTC 2008

Arnaud Quette wrote:
>> No, and that's because I doubt that openSUSE will follow this approach.
>> Historically, there hasn't been too much interest in splitting packages,
>> since SuSE (now openSUSE) attempts to create a working configuration out of
>> the box. Therefor, it made little sense to split these packages up as they
>> all needed to be installed anyway.
>>
> that's indeed what I saw. Even installing the CGI in the bare install!

Yes. Although the disadvantages of following this approach are clear
(dependencies for stuff that isn't actually used), I don't think this is
too bad. Most desktop systems will have many of these things installed
already (possibly with the exception of the net-snmp library), so the
only thing you're gaining is maybe a few MB of hard-disk space, which is
too cheap to really worry about. If you're looking at configuring a
tightly controlled server where you don't want anything installed that
isn't actually needed, you won't be installing openSUSE anyway (which is
mainly aimed at the desktop).