[Nut-upsuser] Network UPS Tools version 2.2.2-pre2 released

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Apr 23 19:29:50 UTC 2008

Jean Delvare wrote:
> You might be able to solve this problem with rpm tags such as:
>
> Provides:    nut:<one key file which "moved" from nut to nut-server>

The openSUSE distribution (formerly, SuSE) already has such a tag,
'smartups'. This is used for both NUT and 'apcupsd'. Basically, both add
UPS monitoring capabilities.

The problem we have now, is that (historically) openSUSE has always used
a single RPM package for NUT ('nut'), while most of developers
(including me) prefer to split this up in 'nut-client', 'nut-server',
'nut-cgi', 'nut-snmp' and 'nut-xml'. Over time, we have added drivers to
NUT that have specific requirements for installed libraries, some of
which are pretty big. If you don't use these drivers, there is no need
to install these libraries.

Therefor, on a system that will be a NUT client only, you probably don't
need 'net-snmp' or 'neon' which are requirements for the 'snmp-ups' and
'netxml-ups' driver respectively. Even for a NUT server, if you don't
use these drivers, you don't need the libraries (at least not for NUT).

This is why we prefer to bundle these in separate RPMs, to keep the list
of dependencies as short as possible. However, since openSUSE bundles
'nut-client', 'nut-server' and 'nut-cgi' in one package 'nut', we should
probably do the same (Arnaud is right about that), to prevent breaking
existing installations where users don't realize that the openSUSE 'nut'
package contains a lot more than the 'nut' package we provide.
> I guess this only works if the rpms are served by some higher level
> repository management tool though, there's probably nothing rpm itself
> can do with this tag.

It is used by YaST for instance, but this is not the problem here.