[Nut-upsuser] MGE Evolution and programmable outlets configuration

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Sat Dec 6 14:34:08 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'm a MGE Evolution 650 owner and, after putting in place a basic
configuration for controlling my UPS, I'm going to tune a little bit
better NUT for my needs.
First of all let me describe my little (SOHO) scenario: I have the ISP
modem/switch (providing VoIP too, so it's important to keep it running
as much as possible), a small low power home server and a much hungrier
PC. The UPS is connected to the server, witch is always up and running.
Basicly the idea is to use the powershare feature for satisfying
different priorities and a specific powerdown order. When power outage
occurs I'd like to bring down my PC (connected to outlet2) after a short
period of time while keeping the server (connected to outlet1) running
for some more time, maybe untill batteries are around the 30-40%
capacity, hence leaving some charge for running the phone till batteries
are (almost) dead.
I have read powersaving.txt but such scenario is not covered in detail
and I'm not that sure about nut configuration.
First of all I think I have to use upssched for shutting down the
computers, both connected to the programmable outlets, haven't I? But
how does the driver communicate to the computers that outlet.X is
cutting the power since is reaching the
outlet.X.autoswitch.charge.low/outlet.X.delay.shutdown condition? Does
it cut the power without any notice? And how the computers get aware
from witch outlet they are drawing power? Without these information it
sounds that programmable outlets are almost unuseful and just marketing.
I mean, if I have to set up a counter in my computers for starting the
halt sequence it does not make any difference the outlet it is connected to.
Then, since I *do* not want the server to shutdown the UPS, should I run
upsmon as slave on both the PC and the server?
Please help me to understand a little bit better how to set up NUT,
thank you.

Marco