[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups looping and unresponsive after update

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Feb 6 08:29:47 UTC 2008

> After updating from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1, the following command
> seems to go into loop and becomes unresponsive except for a
> "kill -9":
>
> /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -u root -DDD -a trippy

Running the driver in debug mode has always prevented it from
backgrounding, so nut-2.2.0 would also require a 'kill -9' to stop it,
unless it would have terminated because of some error condition. If it did
and nut-2.2.1 no longer does, count your marbles, because apparently a
problem that existed before was fixed between these versions. You
shouldn't run any driver in debug mode, unless there is a reason to do so.

> It seem that the previous version would pause the output
> at some polling interval, but with the new version prints
> to the screen at a very high rate.

There have been massive changes to this driver and if I remember
correctly, more debugging information will be displayed to help us locate
problems with some UPS'es more easily. Anything above debug level 2
('-DD') should only be used when a developer specifically asks for it.

> I thought i remember someone else having this same issue,
> but I was unable to find a relevant posting.

So far you have not convinced me there is an issue with this driver.
Please be more specific in what problem you're trying to solve by running
the driver in debug mode.

Eindhoven - The Netherlands