[Nut-upsuser] Some questions

`VL vl.homutov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:23:03 UTC 2008

Hello all NUT users and developers!

Have some questions about nut suite:

1. Does upscmd provide only device-specific commands? Or commands
like shutdown.stayoff are general and good for all ups models?
When i see output of 'upscmd -l' - is this general commands
that supported by given device or this is unique commands of this device?
For example, i have APC SmartUPS-750 and it shows me that it have
command shutdown.stayoff.
Is this APC command or NUT one?

2. Same question about UPS properties shown by upsc

3. Question about ACP SmartUPS-750: what does shutdown.reset command does?
resets UPS itself? resets power? something else?
I need to reset device, connected to ups - is this possible?

I tried to reset computer, connected to UPS with this command
and it seem to work, but i have another problem here: ups.status
which i get from upsc(usb driver) always returns me OK. There
is a timeout, which is big enough and UPS is fast enough to reboot during
this timeout. So i push command to UPS from script, wait for fail
status(ups is off or reset)
and this event never happens. Is it possible to control timeout someway?
I wanted to use this UPS as a STONITH device, but in this case it does not
have required 'reset' action.

4. I was able to test 2 APC UPSes and found that they are slowly
responding to commands: one of them needs about 100 seconds to turn off.
At first i thought that upsc just didn`t work. Other is faster - about
25 seconds to respond.
Do have any information about mean times to respond for such UPSes?
Is this UPS itself problem or maybe my USB connection/PC problems?

P.S. I used NUT 2.2.1 in all my tests and Debian 4.0.

Thank you!